The 21st Annual Road Profiler Users’ Group Meeting
December 9 to 11, 2009
Sheraton Gateway Hotel Atlanta Airport, Atlanta, Georgia
The 21st Annual Road Profiler Users’ Group (RPUG) Meeting was held in Atlanta Georgia from December 9th to December 11th, 2009 at the Sheraton Gateway Hotel Atlanta Airport.
We had a fantastic RPUG 2009 meeting from Dec. 9 to Dec. 11. But don’t let the conversation stop here—join us at the RPUG page “Blogs for RPUG 2009 Meeting” (updated) to share ideas, lessons learned, and other precious information.
The agenda includes several new sessions on profiler certifications, pavement construction QA/QC, and a special ProVAL session focusing on QA/QC. Download a detailed agenda now!
The following is an overview of the agenda:
|Wednesday, December 9, 20098:30 am -11:45 am ProVAL 3.0 Advanced Workshop11:45 am – 1:00 pm Lunch on your own
1:00 pm – 2:30 pm Session I – Welcome and Introductions
2:30 pm – 3:00 pm Break/Vendor Exhibits
3:00 pm – 4:30 pm Session II – Research and Standardization Initiatives
4:30 pm – 5:15 am Session III – RPUG Open Steering Committee Meeting
6:00 pm Ice Breaker Reception
|Thursday, December 10, 20097:00 am – 8:00 am Breakfast8:00 am – 10:00 am Session IV – Benchmark Profiler Experiment
10:00 am – 10:30 am Break/Vendor Exhibits
10:30 am – 12:00 pm Session V – Texture/Noise/Friction
12:00 pm – 1:00 pm Lunch
1:00 pm – 2:45 pm Session VI – Profile Measurement and Analysis
2:45 pm – 3:15 pm Break/Vendor Exhibits
3:15 pm – 5:00 pm Session VII – Pavement Evaluation Equipment
|Friday, December 11, 20097:00 am – 8:00 am Breakfast8:00 am – 9:30 am Session VIII – Profiler Certification and Construction QA/QC (1/2)
9:30 am -10:00 am Break/Vendor Exhibits
10:00 am -12:00 pm Session IX – Profiler Certification and Construction QA/QC (2/2)
12:00 pm – 1:00 pm Lunch on your own
1:00 pm – 4:30 pm ProVAL 3.0 QA/QC Workshop
- Session 2-1: Bob Orthmeyer (FHWA) – Pooled Fund Study TPF-5(063) and FHWA Surface Characteristics Program Update
- Session 2-2: Rob Rasmussen (Transtec Group) – CP Road Map and the Concrete Pavement Surface Characteristics Program
- Session 2-3: Larry Scofield (ACPA) – Update of the ACPA Surface Characteristics Research Program
- Session 3-1: Kevin McGhee (VTRC) – Open Steering Committee Meeting
- Session 4-1: Robert Binns (VT) – Virginia Technical University Reference Profiler
- Session 4-2: Mike Freeman (APR) – APR Auto Rod and Level as a Reference Profiler
- Session 4-3: Dennis Scott (SSI) – SSI Reference Profiler
- Session 4-4: Eric Botting (ICC) – ICC Reference Profiler
- Session 4-5: Steve Karamihas (UMTRI) – Reference Profiler Benchmarking
- Session 5-1: Christopher R. Byrum (SME) – Developing a Research-Level Protocol and Software for the Michigan DOT Prototype Pavement Surface Texture Laser Profiler
- Session 5-2: Rob Rasmussen (Transtec Group) – Connect Texture with Tire-Pavement Noise
- Session 5-3: Shahriar Najafi (VT) – Speed Adjustment Factors for the Locked-Wheel Skid Trailer
- Session 6-1: Christopher R. Byrum (SME) – Evaluation of Faulting and the Effectiveness of Dowel Bars at Pavement Joints Using Rapid Travel Profilers for the FHWA LTPP GPS3 Jointed Concrete Pavement Test Sites
- Session 6-2: George Chang (Transtec Group) – Painless Transition from ProVAL 2.7 to ProVAL 3.0
- Session 6-3: Leif Sjögren (VTI, Sweden) – Road Profile Data Quality Control
- Session 6-4: Li Ningyuan (MTO, Canada) – Development of A New Pavement Distress Evaluation Guide for Ontario Ministry of Transportation
- Session 7-1: Richard Wix (ARRB Group Ltd) – Use of Video Imaging for a Road Safety Project in Vietnam
- Session 7-2: Rohan Perera (SME) – Validation of the Rolling Straightedge Simulation Performed on the Data Collected by an Inertial Profiler
- Session 7-3: Robert Binns (VT) – Removing Drift from Inertial Navigation System Measurements
- Session 7-4: John Laurent (Pavement Metrics) – Laser Crack Measurement System
- Session 8-1: Steven Hale (NVDOT) – “Smooth Ride?” Contractor Performed Tests in the Quality-Assurance Process: The Nevada Experience
- Session 8-2: Sameer Shetty (VT) – Preliminary Result from the Profiler Certification Exercise at the Virginia Smart Road
- Session 8-3: Robert Rozycki (FHWA) – HPMS Program Update
- Session 9-1: Steve Karamihas (UMTRI) – Practioner’s Review of Smoothness Incentive Programs – Opening Comments
- Session 9-2: Sean Nelson (VDOT) – I-64 Battlefield Boulevard: Lessons Learned – Rideability
- Session 9-3: Doug Lewis (Atlantic Contracting) – Practitioners’ Review of Smoothness Incentive Programs
- Session 9-4: Matt Ross (Penhall) – Practitioners’ Review of Smoothness Incentive Programs-2
The brochure contains a simplified agenda, hotel information, and registration information. (Note: registration and reservations are also available online) Download the RPUG 2009 brochure now!
The RPUG 2009 registration fees will be $220 and $250 where the latter is the late registration fee after November 25, 2009. Vendor’s registration fees will be $1,100. Online registration is now open (NA)!
Equipment vendors are invited to attend the meeting to exhibit their products. Additional information is available through the Exhibitor Agreement. Exhibitor Registration of $1,100 includes two participants. You can register through the Online Registration. Download the exhibitors’ agreement now!
You may also want to consider an RPUG Sponsorship Opportunity. For registration and sponsorship questions, contact the National Center for Pavement Preservation at 517-432-8220. Download the sponsorship level document now!
The 2009 RPUG Annual Meeting will be held at the Sheraton Gateway Hotel Atlanta Airport (1900 Sullivan Road, Atlanta, Georgia 30337, Phone: (770) 997-1100), only 10 minutes away from downtown Atlanta and its major attractions including the new Georgia Aquarium.
Hotel reservations can be made for the block rate of $89/night no later than November 16, 2009, by calling the hotel directly (770)-997-1100, and use the code, “National Center for Pavement Preservation” or by accessing the online hotel reservations (NA).
Continuing Education (CEU) Credits
We will also offer certificates of continuing education (CEU) credits to RPUG attendees upon requests.
For registration questions, contact the National Center for Pavement Preservation at (517) 432-
For technical questions on ProVAL workshops and speakers/moderators, contact Dr. George Chang, gkchang at thetranstecgroup dot com (replacing “at” and “dot” with symbols) or +1 (512) 659-1231.
In memory of a RPUG friend, Helga Torres (-2019), at RPUG 2009